DND is modernizing. We are enhancing our data analytics to better drive evidence-based decision-making. A new vision for data, established in the DND/CAF Data Strategy, will be applied. The department will develop and amend policies to expand data use in operations and decision-making and to improve accountability for data management. We will implement data governance and data quality frameworks and use them to steward our data. We will support initiatives that implement master data,
which will help with data quality and interoperability.
DND will identify business processes and requirements to modernize Defence resource management. The Defence Resource Business Modernization program will support business transformation across the defence enterprise in its effort towards fostering a culture of evidence-based decision-making. The department will drive the government?s Beyond2020 initiative, supporting a workforce that is agile, equipped and inclusive. It will foster grassroots business innovation. Science, Technology and Innovation (ST&I) play a vital role in Canada?s defence and security by ensuring that the women and men of the CAF are equipped with leading-edge capabilities to address defence and security challenges, both at home and abroad. In FY 2020-21, the Defence team plans to:
- Provide expertise and science and technology advice on surveillance, intelligence, cyber tools for defence, space-related capabilities and threats, energy alternatives, remotely piloted systems, data analytics and counter-improvised explosive device solutions;
- Engage with public safety and security stakeholders to meet the objectives set forth as part of the Canadian Safety and Security Program;
- Evolve the deployment of medium assurance solution in collaboration with Communications Security Establishment;
- Advance research and development in the future of cyber warfare to improve and strengthen both defensive and offensive capabilities;
- Maintain interoperability within the Five Eyes community in a data-centric environment, which will maximize the probability of success in developing a cross-domain solution capability in Canada and allied networks;
- Implement cloud computing capabilities to support major initiatives in data analytics and management, collaboration amongst the Defence team and modernization of classified computing networks;
- Engage with Canadian innovators in solving defence and security challenges through the Innovation for Defence Excellence and Securityxxxiii (IDEaS) program. In FY 2020-21, the program will launch the two final tools of the program, issue contracts, deliver outreach activities and progress projects in support of the integrated defence and security ST&I Program and the Government of Canada innovation agenda;
- Sustain ST&I activities to understand the risks and opportunities of Artificial Intelligence (AI) and AI-enabled systems. Research and Development efforts will be aimed at reducing workloads on CAF members, exploring the limits of integrating data to support operators and analysts and exploring AI techniques associated with the operation of autonomous vehicles. The ST&I program will also generate advice regarding the integration of AI-enabled systems and processes into operations, planning and decision-making;
- Defend DND networks, assure the integrity of embedded code in vehicle systems and mitigate the risks of connected devices at the tactical edge. The Defence team, in partnership with Communications Security Establishment and Public Safety partners, will advance ST&I efforts to defend and protect both domestic and deployed DND networks, platform systems and infrastructure. Further, the Defence team and Communications Security Establishment will collaborate in policy development to enable Active Cyber Operations; and
- Launch a new initiative aimed at developing tools and processes to assess the veracity of online information and detect/attribute online information campaigns in CAF areas of operation.